Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Department of Eagles

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The Department of Eagles is what would happen if Radiohead got together with the Kings of Convienence. However, that comparison really only works for a few of their songs, for the others, we may need a few more different comparisons, and that's why Department of Eagles bugs me. I love their sound, but I have a very difficult time describing it.

"Saling by Night" is the first song i heard, and it made me look into them further. The song sounds something like Pedro the Lion over a fuzzy Postal Service-y beat. The beat keeps the song moving smoothly until it changes up and and a hoard of rising violins brings the song to an end.

You can get their newly released debut full lengh "The Whitey On The Moon UK LP" on Isota Records or Amazon. Isota says this about it, "Adventurous music with pop structure that comes off like a mix of The Notwist, Underworld, Ween, and The Strokes, replete with samples-a-go-go, hip-hop beats, fuzzy guitars, and British accents!? The post-modern Simon and Garfunkel." I mostly agree, but there is a heck of a lot of Radiohead in this album, they probably shoud have menioned that. That being said, with just about a month or so left in the year, this album may even make my top 25.

[MP3]:
Sailing by Night (Highly Rec'd)
Noam Chomsky Spring Break 2002
The Horse You Ride

P.S. I'm pretty much in love with the album art.
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

5 Comments:

Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

hey, solid blog man. I just surfed over from YANP.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

thanks

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the dept of eagles tracks...i'm liking this

6:25 AM  
Blogger randywarhol said...

I also came from YANP.HMM nice blog, and wow for finding a band who made a song with Chomsky in of their titles

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm loving the Department of Eagles. I love finding a great band I never heard of before. thanks for sharing!

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home