Saturday, February 18, 2006

Paper Airplanes - "Curious Phantasm"



Paper Airplanes are exactly what I've been looking for in indie rock for the past several months. They're not trying to be anything that they're not, which is what I love, they play indie rock that is stripped down to what indie rock used to be. It's nothing too challenging to listen to, just immediately catchy melodies and fairly profound lyrics for a not-very-old band.

Their debut full length album Boyhood, released last year on Mayhaps Recordings reminds me why I love albums like Built to Spill's Keep It Like A Secret, because sometimes I just want to hear something that doesn't challenge my ears, something that is immediately rewarding. And that's what Boyhood is, from the opener "The Fences" aka "the template for what indie rock should sound like" to the very last track, it never lets up. Aside from "The Fences" my favorite track would have to be "Curious Phantasm."

[MP3]: Paper Airplanes :: Curious Phantasm
Opening with an irresistable guitar line and ditches it just as soon as you've fallen in love and replaces it with an even catchier hook following on of the most intriguing chorus I've heard in a good while. This song also includes one of my favorite lyrics I've heard in a while as well, "Oh I wish we would have known / not to grow up so soon / not to grow up so soon / oh we're so typical." I'm really not even sure why I love it so much, it might be the guitar line riding under it that's doing it, there's so many good parts to this song I can't just love one. In other words, download this right now.

Download "The Fences" in this post.

Buy Boyhood here.

Also, it was a long time coming, but Matt finally broke and posted on my loves, the Bound Stems.

I ordered a few old Silver Mt. Zion albums from Constellation today that I have been putting off buying forever, so I'll probably be in "that" mode for quite a while after I get them. Speaking of Constellation, they've got quite a few awesome releases already scheduled for the coming year, if you've never held a Constellation Records album in your hands before, you just don't know what you're missing, you won't find better packaging(or music) anywhere else.
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love fences, i found it through hype machine, just as i did this song, thank you

3:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

im liking this stuff, thanks!

1:51 AM  
Blogger Dave Rawkblog said...

these guys are so amazing.

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my god! i downloaded a copy of "The Fences" awhile ago and I didn't know where I got it from or who the band was, but I really loved the song and now I know that it's by Paper Airplanes and I'm really happy yay!! Thank you! I'm going to be a regular reader of your blog from here on out (and you posted on Mono = sweetness)

D

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot!
» » »

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home