Tuesday, March 21, 2006

The Acorn - "Books"



The Acorn hail from from Ottawa, Canada. In Ottawa it can get retty chilly, so I can understand the band's blanket fixation. Last year's Blankets! EP is a glorious follow-up to their first album The Pink Ghosts. Now gone are the instrumentals and bedroom IDM and the band has moved onto more intricate songwriting and more vocals, good vocals. Most of the Blankets! consists of acoustic fare thats just wraps around you like a nice warm blanket. Aww. Having spent a healthy part of 2005 touring, they have built a loyal fan base and shared the stage with many of their friends, including Julie Doiron, Great Lake Swimmers, The Wooden Stars, Snailhouse, The Robot Ate Me. Check out this track from Blankets!

[MP3]: The Acorn :: Books (Highly Rec'd)
This song has a real fireplace feel to it. What I mean by that is, this song, along with the rest of the album, makes me feel like I'm up in the mountains somewhere in a cabin, watching the band sit there and tell me all their stories. The lyircs of the chorus really stuck out for me and I can't seem to get them out of my head. "I'm the books you're tired of reading / stories all the same / and the mess between the covers never change" There's a windy drone in the background that rises and falls throughout the song, and though you might not notice it at first, it does a lot to enhance the mood of the song.

Buy Blankets! from Kelp Records for $8!
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

1 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Very good and warm indeed.

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home