Wednesday, March 22, 2006

New Xiu Xiu - "Vulture Piano"



Xiu Xiu performed at the Kill Rock Stars showcase at SXSW last week and played a few songs from their upcoming album The Air Force. "Hello From Eau Claire" and "Vulture Piano" were the two new songs that I heard were performed. I also heard the crowd talked over most of their set and were particulary loud during their moving perfromance of "Fabulous Muscles," which Caralee sang. You can see a somewhat decent video of "fabulous Muscles" here. And now the new song:

[MP3]: Xiu Xiu :: Vulture Piano
Obviously this isn't a studio recording, as you have probably already gathered, and if you hadn't, I'm very sorry for your newfound disappointment. However, this recording isn't that bad and it does give you a good idea of how the song's gonna sound recorded. It has kind of a "Pox" feel to it, which is probably due to the peppy drum machine beat used in the song. At about 2:18 though, I realize that this could plausibly end up being one of my favorite songs of the year, that guitar riff, all alone by itself, and then Jamie wailing "She was the best thing that you had!" It's magic.
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure about this band, they get lots of press, but I just never can get into any of their albums. I bought one and didn't like it. I'll have to give this song a try, maybe it will grow on me.

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recorded a show of theirs when they were here in San Francisco. They ended with caralee singing sad pony guerilla girl. It was absolutely amazing. I wish there was a recording of her singing fabulous muscles without everyone talking over the singing.

4:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home