Sunday, April 09, 2006

The Grates - "Lies Are Much More Fun"



Chris and Matt were both gushing earlier this week about the new album by Australia's The Grates, or more particularly the new song "19-20-20" which is an amazingly infectious song, by the way. The new album Gravity Won't Get You High came out in Australia yesterday and is full of super high energy pop. After just one listen through, I think this might be topping The Lovely Feathers' Hind Hind Legs as the most fun I've had listening to an album so far this year. When most people have this much energy, they have no idea what to do with it, but The Grates know exactly what to do and it's oh so rewarding. "Lies Are Much More Fun" is the first "real" song on Gravity Won't Get You High and I can say with much confidence that it's the best thing I've heard all week.

[MP3]: The Grates :: Lies Are Much More Fun
First listen through this song and I realized that a lot of the Grates' songs reminded me of early No Doubt, which, at least for me, is definitely not a bad thing. I still listen to Tragic Kingdom pretty regularly and I've always loved it. That being said though, the similarities mostly lie in the vocals and The Grates are definitely their own band. Getting back to the song, I can't say one negative thing about it. It seems to do everything I hope it will, in all the right spots and when Patience sings at the end: "I'm gonna go like this to you! / I'm gonna go like this to you! / I'm gonna like this to you! / LALALALALA!" I have a small joygasm.

Check out the album artwork. Everything about these guys is 100% awesome. I'm so madly in love.

Buy Gravity Won't Get You High from Amazon.com

Look at more pictures and stream "19-20-20" on their Myspace. They have some of the best press shots around, I could look at them all day.
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!