Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The Most Serene Republic: "Emergency Performance Art Piece"



Since I heard it for the first time a few months ago, The Most Serene Republic's new tour EP Phages has been creeping further and further into my head. It still holds a very firm spot as one of my top five favorite releases of the year thus far, which is highly impressive, I think, for just a tour EP. Although it should be mentioned, and proven by this song, that Phages is not just another tour EP. It blows away last year's Underwater Cinematographer and shows the band moving into not a completely different sound, but definitely changing their focus a bit towards even more complicated melodies and time signatures and really exemplifying that "dreamy noise pop" sound. The song is an absolutely beautiful taste of what will no doubt end up being one of my favorite records of the year. This is very very highly recommended!

[MP3]: The Most Serene Republic :: Emergency Performance Art Piece
I'm not even sure what to say about this song, it's sheer beauty and amazingness leaves me basically wordless, but I'll try to tell you how I feel about it. Have you ever had that dream where you're floating in space and then you get sucked into a black hole and then you start losing your mind? Me niether, but if I did, it would be the music video for this song for sure. The piano melody has been stuck in my head for the past two months, so beware.

You could only get it at their shows for a while but apparently it is on sale now in the Arts & Crafts store here. I think the store may be down right now, but it should be back up real soon like!


**************************************************
And since it's been a few days since my last Pipettes post, I feel it my duty to inform you of a new Pipettes contest to design the covers for their digital remix releases. The winning covers will appear on iTunes and stuff, check out their MySpace page for more details!
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!