Wednesday, June 21, 2006

My Brightest Diamond: "Disappear"



One of Asthmatic Kitty's newest signees, Shara Worden aka My Brightest Diamond (I LOVE that name by the way), is set to release her debut album Bring Me the Workhorse later this Summer. Bring Me the Workhorse is one of two albums that Shara began working on in 2005. The other album, A Thousand Shark’s Teeth, was a collection of songs written to be accompanied by a string quartet, whereas Bring Me the Workhorse is more of full-band rock album. I use the term "rock" loosely, because while it may truly be a rock album, your senses are going to disagree. Shara possess a naturally beautiful voice, able to flow from emotion to emotion from one line to the next, always sounding absolutely arresting. If i had to make some sort of comparison, I would say think of a less squirrel-y sounding Joanna Newsom singing over Morr Music's entire catalog.

[MP3]: My Brightest Diamond :: Disappear
So, my initial experience was a bit strange. The moment I first heard "Disappear" I could not for the life of me shake the image of The Lady and the Tramp. Yes, the Disney with the dogs and spaghetti and stuff, and not only could I not get it it out of my head, I had no idea how this song was causing it to be there in the first place. Anyway, that was enough for me to enjoy it. Nothing like a little flashback to being 7 years old to make you get into a song. But for those of you (read: all of you) who don't expect to get the Disney image, I'll just tell you it's a beautiful song.

Bring Me the Workhorse won't be out until August 22nd, but sign up for the Asthmatic Kitty mailing list and you'll be the first to know when you can preorder.

My Brightest Diamond on MySpace
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

2 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Oh my... what a beautiful song. Thanks for the heads up on the album!! What would I do with you?

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can actually understand the Lady & The Tramp thing...it definitely has a "We Are Siamese If You Please" feel to it...

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home