Monday, October 09, 2006

Chilly Fall Mixtape: Five and Six


Fall is really cool. Especially zip-up sweatshirts and mittens

I'm sure most of you have noticed that I haven't really been keeping up with this blog too well lately. Sure there's a post or so a day, but it's all been pretty lax and I'll be the first too admit it. I really want to get back into blogging like I used to, so I'm going to try to make more of an effort I guess, or something. It's still probably going to mostly indie-pop focused, as that's what I've been really into lately, but there'll be the occasional something else and stuff. So, I'll shut up now and get onto tonight's two songs.

[MP3]: The Field Mice :: Emma's House
Though "Sensitive" is widely considered The Field Mice's best song, I've always had more of soft spot for "Emma's House," which pretty much seems to never fail to bring a tear to my eye. Released on Sarah Records in 1988, "Emma's House" is soft, melancholy tune and Bobby Wratten's lyrics here are probably some of the the strongest lines of his career: "Where you are / Where you now are / You have nothing to live up to / You have nothing to live down / Emma's house is empty / so why do I call it Emma's house?" Those last two lines will forever stick with me as some of the most memorable lyrics I've ever heard.

[MP3]: Modest Mouse :: Edit The Sad Parts
Here we go from the beauty of The Field Mice to the ringing guitar ruckus of Modest Mouse. This track appears only on Interstate 8, but is one of the best songs the band has written to date. It's pretty rough sounding, but really, that's the beauty of it, of Modest Mouse in general. A fine example would be the combination of the dirty sounding guitar riffs riding under, some of my favorite lyrics that Isaac has ever written: "If you stand in a circle / Then you'll all have a back to bite / Back logged books on the 7 wonders / We're all so funny but he's lost his joke now." It's the combination of ear ringing instrumentation and ridiculously clever lyrics that make this song such a favorite. Plus, I first heard in the fall, and a song always reminds of the setting in which you first heard it, which I think is a pretty magical thing.

Previous Posts:
Chilly Fall Mixtape: One and Two
Chilly Fall Mixtape: Three and Four
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

5 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

do you really shed actual tears?

12:04 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

a boy can cry can't he? :(

12:15 AM  
Blogger C said...

Good songs, both of them.

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aberdeen's cover of Emma's house is pretty nice. (Check it out at the iTunes Store...)

10:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Missed this post - You're indeed right about Emma's House vs. Sensitive, though the tears have eluded me.....so far!

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home