Thursday, November 16, 2006

Anni Rossi: "Safety of Objects"


Anni Rossi

Let me go ahead and preface this by saying you're either going to really love Anni Rossi or you're going to hate her. I can't think there'd be too many people straddling a the middle line on her. Obviously I love her, as given away by the fact that I've taken the time to tell you about her.

On her myspace she calls herself a "classical kid gone viola pop wunderkind" and I'd say her voice is similar enough to the lovely Joanna Newsom if not a little croakier and squeakier. Croakier and squeakier though, that's not a bad thing at all, it just adds to her charm and that's why we love her. Plus, I mean, she was born in Maryland so that gives her tons of extra points in my book. Check out this track from her album, Scandia.

[MP3]: Anni Rossi :: Safety Of Objects (Recommended, Highly)
This song is folk-pop at it's core, but instead of the staple acoustic guitar we get plucked, bowed, and sometimes delightfully dissonant viola. Anni's voice is so unique and quirky that, like I said above, you'll either love it or hate it, but when she squeaks out those cute little "oohs" at the end of what eventually seems like every other line, it's nothing near grating, they are in fact, my favorite singular moments of the song. Maybe you'll love them too? I don't know. Why don't you give it a listen and let me know.

Buy Scandia from Folktale Records
Anni Rossi on MySpace

**********************************

I hurt my toe yesterday and it still kind of hurts.
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

9 Comments:

Blogger Dave Rawkblog said...

can't go wrong with squeaky

4:33 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

you most surely cannot

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my wow! This song is amazing! I love her voice.
So, thanks for em.. opening my eyes, i guess :p

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i posted her on my site a while back and got a couple negative but mostly positive comments. I think she's great, nice find Matt!

1:45 PM  
Blogger The Game said...

she freaking rocks so hard live.
its awesome. i saw her in a little room and she didnt have a mike or anything but everyone was silent and she walked around the room playing her viola and clicking her heals

10:09 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

jenny lewis looks like an old lady

4:59 PM  
Blogger Logain 5 said...

I recorded her new album which will be available soon. Beginning of June? I can pre release copies to those who would like.
email me benjamintierney@gmail.com
Hmmm I have always wanted to pre release copies of an album I helped produce and engineer...
p.s. you can hear her heels click on our 100 year old cement floor.

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw her in Minneapolis in 2003 when I was a freshman in high school. I bought a live recording of hers--called "Public Transmission"--at that show. There were about twelve songs but the song "venice" appears to be her only old song that is appearing on her new album. The recording is fantastic; I feel like I have a collectors item!!

9:40 PM  
Blogger craftysue said...

My new favorite music

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home