Monday, December 18, 2006

The Budgies: "Friends in Literature"


The Budgies

The Budgies are cute cute cute. Seriously, what is with Sweden and being so damn cute. It's gotta be something they put in the water. Anyway, I had a pretty long span a little while back where this blog was totally and utterly twee out the wazoo. I think that might start happening again due to a lot of great new pop bands I've been finding as of late; including The Budgies! When I first listened to them, oh, a couple hours ago, my heart just melted and I went on a spree, listening to everything I could from them. Now, I will share a few of my favorites with you. Super completely recommended if you like early Sarah Records-era indie pop.

[MP3]: The Budgies :: Friends in Literature (Highly Highly Rec'd)
This song is from their 2005 EP, Humblepie. Now, I'm not completely sure what it is about "Friends in Literature," but it's got a way of making extremely smiley all over. From the lo-fi feel to the lyrics and the twinkling guitar melody, it's all very charming. I said above that my heart melted when I first heard The Budgies; well, that happened right in the first chorus. Wait for "oh oh oh ohhhhhh" right after "I recite the Night thoughts, you put the reciever on the pillow of your bed," you'll feel it.

[MP3]: The Budgies :: Lucky Sunday (Also Highly rec'd!)
This song comes from their more recently released Summer Obsession EP, which you can pick up from Popkonst Recordings. This song's a little more jangly, sounding like something Tiger Trap could've whipped up back in the day. It goes by in a flash, but not before hitting you with catchy-as-can-be lines like: "We're going to the church it's sunday morning and you like these funay mornings / when the sun is up I'm so happy I could lie down and die." If that's not twee I don't know what is, but I know I love it.

The Budgies on MySpace
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

your second link to the song needs a '3' at the end

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

im not so keen on this :(
sounds poorly recorded

3:20 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

would you like some gloss slopped all over it?

3:22 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

heh, that was in poor taste

4:14 PM  
Blogger LindseyBee said...

I like it. It reminds me of Avocado Baby.

4:49 PM  
Blogger happydog said...

These guys sure have changed since they did "Breadfan" and "In for the Kill," haven't they!

(just kidding)

1:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home