Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Lucky Soul: "The Great Unwanted"


London indiepoppers, Lucky Soul.

I think this is my third mention of Lucky Soul here on Skatterbrain. I've mentioned them quite a bit because, well, I love them. I forget who it was that made me listen to them... I wanna say maybe Shane at The Torture Garden? I'm not too sure... whatever. Anyway, after playing the hell out of all the singles for the past month or so, I've finally heard their debut LP The Great Unwanted. Despite the fact that I've already heard roughly half of it in the singles, the entire record is completely ace. From dance floor jams like "Add Your Light to Mine, Baby" and "Lips Are Unhappy" to slow builders "One Kiss Don't Make A Summer" and "Baby I'm Broke" there's really no low point on this album, no skippable tracks to be found.

Even taking a page from Camera Obscura's book, on the totally rollicking "Get Outta Town!" Ali Howard's "tired-of-this-place" sentiment is clear as she shouts "I know you've got rhythm and I know you've got soul, but there ain't nothing here for us, baby! Gotta get outta town!" My favorite non-single track here though, would have to be the album's title track, "The Great Unwanted." It's got handfuls of memorable lines, all building up gradually to the song's huge fantastic wall of sound finish. The record's definitely gonna be a favorite of the year. I highly suggest you take a listen to this song immediately.

[MP3]: Lucky Soul :: The Great Unwanted (Highly Recommmmended!!!)
I mentioned above that this song's got more than a few memorable lines... and well, it does. Following the opening verse, Ali moves to the chorus singing "Look for us we were the casualties, forever paying the price for a life less boring / Look for us we were the whipping children, but no more / Look for us 'cause when the tables turn, youll be saying a prayer to the great unwanted, singing a hymn to the great unwanted / We will not be ignored, we won't take that no more" over well timed horn blasts and string cuts. What follows is song growing and growing, eventually breaking into into a full-blown ochestra of sounds, gloriously fluttering in and out of each other, making such a sweet collective noise that I think even my ears were smiling.

The Great Unwanted is out April 9th on Ruffa Lane Records.
Please buy Lucky Soul's records HERE
Visit them on MySpace and say hi!

Labels:

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

3 Comments:

Blogger Erik Sutch said...

I just started a music blog yesterday and Lucky Soul was the first band I wrote about. Check it out if you like what's been posted here. And pick up their album. It's fantastic.

The Optical Study

Keep it up Skatterbrain. I've gotten a lot of stuff from this site. Thanks.

-Erik.

1:55 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Dude. For me, Best New Album this year... I just can't get enough of it!!

12:48 PM  
Blogger timothy radar said...

We are releasing Lucky Soul's US debut single. Vist www.deadendsocialclub.com for more info, and thanks for supporting such great music.

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home