Sunday, October 14, 2007

Popfest New England 2007


Hooray for Popfest New England! Hooray!

I'm can't believe I've forgotten all this time to make any mention of 2007's Popfest New England. This year's Popfest, again put on and organized by Skipping Stones Records, is sure to be amazing, and surely not to be missed. There have been some recent updates, line-up-wise, so I figured now is as good a time as any to finally plug the hell out of it. As indicated in the sweet and charming image above, The Popfest will be taking place Friday, November 9 though Sunday, November 11 at The Elevens in Northampton, Massachusetts. Like last year, all shows are still 21+. The partially somewhat new (fantastic) line-up, as of today stands as:

Friday, November 9 (First band on at 8:45)
Eula, New Haven, CT
The Toothaches, Jamaica Plain, MA
The Fawns, Northampton, MA
One Happy Island, Boston, MA
The Besties, Brooklyn, NY
My Teenage Stride, NYC
Bunnygrunt, St. Louis, MO

Saturday, November 10 (First band on at 9:00)
Silly Piano Pillows, Friendsville, PA
The Grade Grubbers, Buffalo, NY
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, NYC
Brown Recluse Sings, Philadelphia, PA
Pants Yell!, Cambridge, MA
St. Christopher, York, UK

Sunday, November 11
Sunday Matinee (First band on at 3:30)
Singing Bridges, Oakville, CT
Scary Monster, Philadelphia, PA
Colin Clary + a Magog, Burlington, VT
The Lil' Hospital, Brooklyn, NY (Just Added!!)

Evening Show (First band on at 9:00)
The 500s, Portland, ME
Nils Folke Valdemar Sings, Gothenburg, Sweden
Surefire Broadcast, Hammonton, NJ
The Capstan Shafts (Dean + Full Band), Lyndonville, VT
The Smittens, Burlington, VT
Professor Pez, Bergen, Norway

I'm really excited to actually be going this year, after missing out last year because I was not yet 21. The whole line-up is excellent but I'm particularly super pumped to see The Pains, Surefire Broadcast, Pants Yell!, The Besties, Lil' Hospital, and of course, The Capstan Shafts!!! Who's going? And who are you excited for? And hey, maybe I'll see you there!

Tickets can be purchased HERE. Tickets will also be available at the door, but it's strongly suggested you grab them now to assure you son't get there and, well, be totally screwed. Other details, including lodging, etc can be found HERE.
Popfest New England 2007 on MySpace!

Labels:

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You REALLY need to check out Professor Pez and Nils Folke!!!

11:50 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

OKAY! :D

11:51 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

We have been to all of the Northampton Popfests (rather easy since we live a few minutes away) and it's always a good time.

Unfortunately we have to skip Sunday this year. I have waited a long long time to see David Kilgour and he is playing in Boston that night.

Anyway, I found your blog a few days ago (from your posts on the indiepop list) and rather like it. I've grabbed a few things I plan to put up on otter pop radio soon.

Cheers,
Matt

9:01 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

its a pretty decent trip for me, but im super excited! im glad you like the blog, always nice to have new readers :)

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it just me, or is does this line-up seem seriously weak compared to other recent Popfests? Both of the events in NYC and Athens put this fest to shame!

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DUUUDE... PANTS YELL! I hope they have the new album for sale at this show!

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This line up is not so strong. It is true.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

i think it'll still be very very good. why doesnt it seem strong to you guys?

4:04 PM  
Blogger William said...

I think it's going to be great, actually.
We're quite excited about the line-up.
BTW, Thanks, Matt for posting about this.

Best,
William

3:54 PM  
Blogger christine said...

Hey, Matt!

We were so so so close to having David play at Popfest, but he already had the Boston gig. :(

There's always next year!

Yes, this year's Popfest is a little restrained, but it's a miracle it's even happening.

So we hope to see our friends old and new, catch up, and enjoy some of the new bands playing this year.

/christine

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't see why 'seceret history' ––like we don't know who that is–– is hating on the lineup. i like that PFNE has a regional feel to it. it's lots of northeast bands with a few far flung popkids every night. i mean, it doesn't make much sense to go to northampton to see a bunch of bands from athens and frisco. im much more into the idea that people can come to popfest and see what's going on in this part of the indiepop world. don't get me wrong, i'd love to see tullycraft. but the grade grubbers aren't coming to my town anytime soon either.

also, there's a couple bands every night that i don't know anything about and if even just one of them is super good and i get to high five colin clary then this is going to be a totally great popfest!
isaac

7:04 PM  
Blogger Michael Grace Jr. said...

Hey folks...

I just want to make sure that everyone reading this blog knows that whomever posted a comment with the handle 'secret history' wasn't me or anyone in my band, The Secret History. Luckily Courtney brought this to my attention, and I just wanted to clarify that. Although I like reading blogs from time to time...I have to admit that I don't read or comment on indiepop (or really music) blogs. And my bandmates even less. Plus anyone who knows me knows that whatever my literary shortcomings may be...using expressions like "seriously weak!" isn't amongst them. If this was an intentional attempt to create confusion or drama, that person should really be ashamed of themselves. On the other hand, if someone is taking that handle for some other reason (perhaps an unhealthy obsession with Donna Tart,) could you do me a favor and choose another one...or better yet, stop posting anonymously or at least sign your first name. Jeez.

If anyone (for any reason)cares about my point of view about the popfests mentioned, here is a succinct summary.

Athens: have sadly never been to this popfest, would love to go. Went to the city once on an ill concieved road trip and slept on the lawn of the University. Had a great time. Once watched a Tullycraft performance from the fest on Youtube...looked like a blast.

New England: Played one of these during the last year or so of My Favorite. Had a good time, played pool with some townies. Saw some good bands. Liked the people organizing it. Was asked to play it again this year with TSH, but we are smack in the middle of recording, and are 7 people with current Nov conflicts.

New York: There some things about the organization of this years fest which, in my opinion, could have been better, but these events are hard to do in any city...escpecially New York...and I'm not about to criticize people who are actually getting off their asses trying to make things happen. For the most part I thought it was a success.

Anway if I may give a short lecture (I am in my thirties and a college professor...so its becoming a bad habit)...The things which got me excited about indie pop some 14 or so years ago, was the intensity, the passion, the community, created by things like riot grrl, Sarah records and Kill Rock Stars. For me it was a continuation of the energy of the hardcore/punk/ska scenes I half-heartly participated in, in a pretty gloomy section of central Long Island. Indie pop seemed to offer punk's energy, plus the potential to be poetic, like my heroes in The Smiths, and The Velvet Underground. If people (person) are wasting time trying to stir up drama, or discourage a scene (any scene) I would sincerely encourage you to stop and find another outlet for your negativity. That is the last thing indie pop, rock, or whatever needs.

Truly,
Michael Grace
The Secret History

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home