Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I'm in love everyday of the week with you


Some deliciously low-res Gol Gappas.

Gol Gappas were quite possibly the best jangle that Él ever had going for it, and as such, it's quite a terrible shame that all they left was one EP ('Dinner with Nougat', 1986) and one single ('West 14 / Roman', ???) – a grand total of only six songs! But let's look at the glass half-full here, if we may. Each of these songs are pretty much perfect slices of classic mid-eighties POP!, and here's one of them, my favorite, "West 14". This song, as well as another, "St. Lucy", appeared on volume one of Él's singles compilation 'Bellissimmo!' in 1993. As for Gol Gappas two original releases, good luck, because they seem to be pretty few and far between these days.

[MP3]: Gol Gappas :: West 14

Labels: ,

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

5 Comments:

Blogger Brett Alan said...

THANK YOU!!! OMG! I loved the Dinner With Nougat EP back in my college-radio days, especially "Chicken Pox" and "St. Lucy". I don't remember this follow-up single at all, but it's terrific. Funnily enough, I only recently learned that "gol gappas" are actually a type of Indian food, FWIW. Thanks again, you made my day.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

Glad I could make your day!!! :) i actually almost used a photo of the food gol gappas instead of the band photo because it was such terrible quality...

12:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I thought they might be Spanish based on their unusual name (though the British singing accent confounded this thought) but I too just looked up the name and learned that 'gol gappa' is a little fried ball filled with tamarind, chili, chaat masala , potato, onion and chickpeas (sounds good, eh?)!

I had never heard this band before. They sound like a cleaner Bodines. Really great jangle sounds to cherish. :-)

*jennifer*

3:03 PM  
Blogger kris said...

él released the JDDE single "sean connery" too, let's not forget. i've got all the gol gappas songs except "ice cream" and "chicken pox", so if any has those please share!

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my all-time favorite tracks. Was el the record label? I can't find any information about it.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home