Monday, May 04, 2009

A monthly mix: May!


May = Plaid? Maybe?

May might not equal plaid, but it certainly equals pop songs, I think. Monthly mixes, or at least intentions of monthly mixes, are nothing new around here, but here I go again, trying to get it going. By next month I'd like to see if I can't just make it some kind of podcast instead of downloadable mp3s like I've always done, but we'll see. The mix opens with one of my favorite Dislocation Dance songs, "I'm Doing Fine", from their third LP 'Midnight Shift'. It's not my number one favorite song of theirs, but I do think it's probably the most summery song they ever recorded! Cats On Fire's new record is one of my favorite of the year so far and "Garden Lights" is my current favorite of the bunch! A couple of softer songs from Sunday Records alumni The Liberty Ship and Class round out the middle. The Liberty Ship was Marc Elston's second attempt at indiepop following his time in Bulldozer Crash in the late 80s and is quite a departure from Bulldozer Crash's noise. I've been on a bit of Dentists binge lately, so I just had to include "Mary Won't Come Out To Play". It's my favorite Dentists song, and also pretty aesthetically appropriate to the mix. Plus, I just have to smile whenever I listen to it. I took the Sister Cities song from a Library Records compilation. It sounds terribly sad and the harmonies just kill me. I haven't ever been able to track down much information about them, though, so any additional info would be appreciated! Following Sister Cities the mix comes back up to speed, ending with a one, two, three punch of MBV, Juniper and one of the finest songs The Wake ever penned.

Tracklist:
01. Dislocation Dance :: I'm Doing Fine
02. Beatnik Filmstars :: Still
03. Yo La Tengo :: Yellow Sarong
04. Cats On Fire :: Garden Lights
05. The Liberty Ship :: Cabin Fever
06. Class :: It's Hard To Let Go
07. Verlaines :: Pyromaniac
08. The Dentists :: Mary Won't Come Out To Play
09. Sister Cities :: Book Ends
10. My Bloody Valentine :: She Loves You No Less
11. Juniper :: Anna Thema
12. The Wake :: Gruesome Castle

DOWNLOAD IT!

Labels: , ,

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

fantastic (:

by the way, i like downloadable mp3s wayyy better than podcasts.

9:23 PM  
Blogger L said...

Thanks for another fabulous collection. I agree with Kate - mp3s much preferred over podcasts.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Mister Magic said...

ellow sarong is the jam

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home